Sunday, July 13, 2008

4th of July Weekend

We had a great 4th of July weekend. We went up to Flagstaff with most of my family. (We're counting on the Walkers next year!) Our kids had a blast being outside. It's been so hot we don't play outside a ton at home. So, Allie basically lived outside - only coming in to eat and sleep. The weather was so nice. The first day is was pretty warm up there - and it made us a little nervous because the house we rented did not have A/C. But it turned out okay. They cancelled their fireworks show, but the kids didn't seem to mind. We got a bunch of poppers and small fireworks to do ourselves. They loved it!

The house had a lake behind it, so Dan serenaded some of the kids with a mildly impressive Italian opera-style performance, while giving them a Venice-style boat ride. We also had a lot of fun during trips to the train station and Fox Glen Park. At the park, my brothers shot off a couple of rockets. The entire park would stop what they were doing to watch it go off. Then Dan would take off running to try to catch it before it got lost in the woods. I promise, I've never seen him run so fast in my life! On the second launch, a group of younger boys ran after the rocket to try to catch it too. The house had some very interesting art work all throughout the house. It spurred a lot of mixed emotions and interesting opinions...


Skateboarding with his uncles was one of Drew's highlights of the trip. Anytime one of them were on a skateboard, he was right there with them.


Allie was trying to fish in the lake behind the house. I'm glad she didn't catch anything - the lake was a little slimy...

Drew loved to be outside - but he didn't like to walk in the forest with all the plants on the ground. He is sitting on an enormous rock - trying to eat part of it.Drew at the park. He's getting so big and independent. He does the slides all by himself now. He doesn't like me to help him at parks, unless I'm putting him in a swing (which he loves!). He loves to do everything his big sister does, and gets frustrated when he can't do it... I'm sure that doesn't surprise anyone that Dan and I have 2 VERY independent children. I wonder which one of us they got it from?!?
Drew & Dan having a slide race.
Skateboarding again - this time with uncle Tanner.
Playing peek-a-boo in the tree with Grammie Barnette.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Yeah! How nice to hear from you! I have one of these now too! Your family is beautiful!